Saturday, October 25, 2008

My Quilts Part 2

At the January 2007 guild meeting I learned of The "Wee" Quilt challenge being held at McDougall Cottage in Cambridge. This seemed like a great opportunity to try entering something for competition. I decided that I would try to make a suitable piece to enter. The theme of the show was Heather Hillsides. It was to be no larger than 24" x 24" and had to contain at least a couple pieces of plaid. Entries were due March 1st so I had little time to waste. This is Viking's Bane. I again used the top stitched curve piecing technique to create the small landscape in the background along with the thistle and garden in the foreground. I was having a great deal of trouble finding the plaids I wanted to use for this piece
( every one I saw was just too big in scale) so I used my computer and printer to create the plaids in just the right size and colour that I felt I needed. I designed a continuous line quilt design of thistles and leaves for the border stitched with a variegated thread.
I was delighted to hear that this piece had been accepted into the show, so I am sure you can image how thrilled I was to learn that Viking's Bane had been awarded Best In Show and at the close of the show it had also been honoured with Viewer's choice.


comicbooklady said...

Just letting you know I voted for this one for my favourite in this catagory! Your quilts always elicit the ooohs and aaahs

Quilter Kathy said...

Woohoo! I loved this quilt and voted for it too!!

Copyright Jill Buckley