Sunday, October 26, 2008

My Quilts Part 5

I am still having a little trouble here................but I think I might understand what I am doing wrong so bare with me, I'm sure I'll figure this out sooner or later.

In March of 2008 I saw a call for entry for a block contest sitting on the back table at guild. I thought that sounded interesting but the deadline for submission was just 3 weeks away. Oh what the heck I thought I'd give it a shot. This competition was being held at Joseph Schneider Haus in Kitchener and was called A Greener Planet. It had to be an unquilted block measuring 12.5" x 12.5", made of pre-washed cotton, it had to include at least 1 piece of green and at least 1 recycled fabric.




This is my interpretation of the theme. I called this Positive Energy.
The block has 3 sections depicting renewable energy sources, sun, wind and water. My recycled fabrics were a piece of denim from some torn up jeans and some very soft flannel from a blanket that had become a rag that had just about outlived it's usefullness.

The blocks become the property of The Joseph Schneider Haus Museum. The quilt that is made from the blocks entered is used for fundraising and other charitable purposes.

This block received a lovely ribbon for honourable mention................I am so very pleased!
The best part about entering these sort of competitions is the feedback you receive from the judges. The positive comments give you such encouragement while the negative ones help you to learn so much about your own work.

I have been having trouble trying to put more than one picture in a post or even putting the image where I wanted it. That is why I have a separate post for each of my quilts but I think I have this thing figured out now. I'll go back to an older post and see if I can successfully insert an additional image.

No comments:

Copyright Jill Buckley