Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Prompting Paper Piecing



This week's prompt is a little different, instead of a word, Jaye has asked us to post about something we have seen and been inspired by.
I have been inspired by Kathy of Kathy's Quilts who did a piece called the Internal Sun.
I absolutely love this piece and it has inspired me to try some paper piecing myself.

I decided to work on a New York Beauty block. First, for prompt #50, I did this black and white block instead of my usual doodle.




Tendinitis makes it very difficult for me to remove the paper from the back so I thought I'd see if I could find something to use that did not have to be removed. I used a product called "trace a pattern" that is sold at Fabricland stores. It is inexpensive, easy to see through, is lightweight and soft enough to be left in a quilt.




I cut the point sections out of a paper version so that I could audition the fabrics I thought I would use





You will just have to wait for my next post to see what these are going to become.

9 comments:

Diane J. Evans said...

Okay . . . this is becoming more amazing by the minute. I, too, have cut the shapes out of a paper pattern and laid it over fabric to audition it. We HAVE to be related somehow . . . although you received the creative right brain and I got the compulsive left brain in the deal. Your squares are going to be magnificent -- I just know it!

Diane

Mary-Kay said...

It's looking good. I love the look of a New York beauty. When you remove the paper are you getting it damp first? Sometimes that makes it easier to remove. I usually use tweezers too. I don't know if this helps but it's worth a try.

Kim said...

Warning.....paper piecing may
become addictive!!!!

these are stunning and quite brave for your first paper piecing project!

Happy sewing

Jaye said...

I have never heard of cutting out the points to audition the fabric. I think it is a wonderful idea and so sensible! I wonder why I didn't think of it before. I love the NY Beauty block and can't wait to see what this becomes.

Marianne said...

If you find it difficult to tear away the paper when doing paper-piecing try this:
http://www.sulky.com/stabilizers/paper_solvy.php
It is expensive but it works very well. I don't do much paper-piecing but whenever I do I use this and leave it right the way through the quilt making process and only wash it out when washing the finished quilt.
One thing though - you cannot use it in a laser printer!

Ednamar said...

Olá,ótima inspiração,ficou lindo...bjs

D@isy said...

Hola!!!
Te ha quedado muy hermoso, felicitaciones.

Quilter Kathy said...

This is sooo exciting! I'm honoured that something I sewed inspired you to try something new. And I LOVE your blocks!

kanishk said...

Your squares are going to be magnificent -- I just know it!

Work from home India

Copyright Jill Buckley