Okay..........so have you had enough yet?
Here are more pictures of the progression of this piece.
This is my first painted piece and in working on it, I have learned a great deal. For one thing I learned that not all textile mediums meant for fabric paint are the same. The one used for this is very thick and it was difficult to get a nice smooth flow with the paint. I have since tried a few others that work much MUCH better.
Once the central portion was all drawn, I began to paint from the center out. Some doodling inside the lettering was done prior to adding paint and some was done after.
Once I finished painting the "circle" I still needed to decide what I would do with the corners.
Yup, that is the way I work, I never know exactly what I am doing with a piece until I am right in the thick of it. I thought it needed some sort of a "flourish" but I wanted it to still relate to the design. Since the quilt's design is asking a question I decided that these stylized curly Q Question marks were just the thing. Extra stone and brick separates them from the central message.
When it came time to figure out what I would use for backing and binding I took a piece of that painted background fabric and painted little squares of each paint colour I had used (sort of made my own selvage dots) and took that with me to shop.
I came across a batik with the exact colours I was looking for and I think the binding compliments the piece very well.