Sunday, May 2, 2010

From Black & White to Colour

I thought I'd play a little more with last week's doodle (see my last post) and this time add colour.

I began by tracing the basic outline directly onto fabric using a Pigma Micron Pen.


With a handful of regular .......run of the mill........ nothing special......colour pencils I filled in the flower and leaves.
Then, a thin layer of textile medium was brushed onto the coloured areas and allowed to dry before it was heat set with my iron.

Here, you see it finished up as another postcard.



With this one I did basically the same thing, I drew directly onto off white fabric, coloured with all purpose inks, then cut the image out and placed it onto a beautiful purple background. This is for a friend who has just become a member of the Red Hat Society

The beauty of making postcards is that you can try different things to see what can be achieved without a large investment of time or supplies, plus you have a little something to share with others.

8 comments:

connie said...

I love that you have used this design again, it is such a nice one. So when you use the pencils what type of textile medium do you use before you heat set it? I love colored pencils and working with them and to do it on fabric would be so cool!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey QA
LOve the Red Hat lady!!! nice job!
I guess I better get out my pencils and attempt a doodle design just so I can quilt one.
Love your background quilting design for her just perfect

SewCalGal said...

Lovely doodles!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Robbie said...

Just BEAUTIFUL...BEAUTIFUL!

Jackie said...

love the quilting lines in the Red Hat Lady.

Diane J. Evans said...

Oh, you've done it again, Jill. These are just delightful! As always, I have questions: What type of fabric did you use for the background of the flower postcard? It's beautiful! And the Red Hat Lady is perfectly charming -- your friend will adore her!

Diane

Clare Wassermann said...

That's a superb idea. Must get cutting some 6x4 !!!

Esther Aliu said...

I just love love love your flower. Colors are sooo nice.
esther

Copyright Jill Buckley