Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Stripping!

Yup, that's right, I am stripper!....... okay........wait, it's not nearly as scary as that sounds.
A short time ago I came across this terrific sewing cabinet, trouble is that it had been painted. I took a chance that it would be a very nice piece once restored and purchased it.
You can see that someone was really into decorative painting, each side was painted a little differently. Fortunately the original decal from White Sewing Machine Co. is still in tact on the inside of the lid and had not been painted over.With the hardware removed, I used a heat gun and sand paper to get rid of as much of the paint as possible.
It is looking pretty good. In order to get the last remaining bits out of the corners and grooves, I will have resort to the use of a chemical stripper. I want to do this outside so if the weather cooperates, I hope to have this finished by the end of the week.

12 comments:

Melissa ;-) said...

How cute is that? That would be so perfect in a living room or bedroom as a place to keep extra supplies for handiwork! Good eye!

Anonymous said...

It looks better already! Well spotted indeed.

Joanne said...

I have never seen a cabinet like that. It is going to look amazing when you are finished!

Dolores said...

Your instincts were right. It's looking good.

Anonymous said...

It will be a work of art once you are finished with it. :-)

Cheryl said...

Very Nice ! Seems I have seen a cabinet like that somewhere ..... it already looks good, can't wait to see it finished. Cabinets like that are a treasure for sure !
I wonder how old it is and where it was made .

Gina said...

What a great cabinet. I like that you are restoring it back to it's original wood as I'm not a lover of painted wood. I like seeing the natural grain

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Joan said...

Hard work - but worht it - looking forward to seeing what the finish will be...

Clare Wassermann said...

Well it took some elbow grease I'm sure but it's lovely!

Sherri said...

And here I thought this was going to be about those machines that cut fabric into strips!!! I like this even better!
I think I need one....ROAD TRIP time!!! Now where did I put that list of antique shops? :D

Jacqui's Quilts said...

Nice Jill! I have been hoping to find one of those little cabinets for years...one that's affordable that is :-). I have a Singer cabinet that is painted an ugly yellow that I want to strip down one of these days. I will post some pictures of my cabinets on my blog one of these days after I sort them out :-). I store my sewing collectibles in them.

Kim said...

Oh my goodness it will be a real treasure when you get it restored. What year to you think it was made?
Was it just for sewing supplies? Did a sewing machine sit on top?

Lovely piece good luck with all the work to come.

Happy Sewing

Copyright Jill Buckley