Monday, March 7, 2011

Whew!

In my last post I talked about the fact that the method I use for applique involves leaving the freezer paper in until all of the stitching is finished and then immersing the work in warm water to dissolve the glue and soften the paper for removal.
Well, this block is completely stitchedHere is a view of the back............see all the paper still in there?
I make slits through just the background fabricPut the block into VERY warm water (I added about a teaspoon of Retayne to the water)
The freezer paper is gently pulled out through the slitsOnce all of the paper is out, the piece is again rinsed to be sure all of the glue is removed, then instead of wringing or squeezing, I roll the piece in a thick towel to get rid of as much water as possible.Next I basically "block" it by making certain I have it laid out as flat and smooth as possible to dry.Here is the block finished, the Retayne once again seems to have helped in the prevention of any nasty mishaps with one or more fabrics that might have other wise bled. (I have to admit that I am really not a pre-washer)....now onto the next block in this "My Tweets" BOM series. I plan to do a little tutorial of sorts on this method......but I have some other products to try......you'll just have to wait and see

15 comments:

Diane J. Evans said...

This is nothing short of magnificent, Jill. I need a thesaurus to come up with new words to describe your work -- your talent knows no bounds, and your willingness to experiment takes you (and your fans) to new and exciting places. I love taking this journey with you -- it's the next best thing to living next door.

From the Self-Appointed President of the Jill Buckley Fan Club,

Diane

Karen S said...

Oooh! Can I join the club? This is just beautiful. Your fabric choices really make it sing.

Robbie said...

Beautiful..workmanship is beyond good! It's perfect!

Mishka said...

Wow, Jill it turned out absolutely gorgeous!

I love your idea of just making a small snip in the back to pull out the paper. I actually tried to cut my background away 1/4". What a waste of time!! I'm pretty sure I cut after I soaked, definitely going to try it your way for my houses row.

Looking forward to your tutorial.

Michele

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

I love the colors you used on your block. I have mine sitting there, trying to decide on what colors to use.

Joan said...

Wonderful Jill - in fact fantastic!! That is also a great tutorial on how you did it. Wish I wasnt so busy doing other things - that's definitely on my to do list. Looking forward to the next block!

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh my gosh...this is a work of art! Amazing!
Hey...Diane can't be the president of the Jill Buckley Fan Club...I want to be the president!!

Kim said...

Just beautiful.......what a heirloom you are making....I can't wait to see it done! Oh Diane is president of the fan club...well I'll be VP then :0).
Oh congrats on your win from Karen...enjoy your membership :0)

Happy Sewing

Createology said...

I cannot imagine the hours and amount of labor and work you have into this piece. It is truly exquisite.

Erika Mulvenna said...

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing tips on your applique process. We're sharing all kinds of tips, tutorials and projects each week at www.WeAllSew.com, have you visited us yet?

Sharon said...

Your block is beautiful!! I love your colors. And thank you for sharing your process with us. I always learn something when I visit you.

And count me in as a member of your Fan Club!

Anonymous said...

Jill....you always with out a doubt amaze me with your artistic abilities. I want to be just like you when I grow up.

Royce said...

This is a very interesting technique and one I'd love to try. Your work is outstanding - so crisp.

Vicki said...

I have just found your site. Your work is magnificent. Wherre can I get the pattern for thos wonderful .

Looking forward to your response.


Vicki

Vicki said...

I have just found your site. Your work is magnificent. Wherre can I get the pattern for thos wonderful .

Looking forward to your response.


Vicki

Copyright Jill Buckley