Wednesday, June 15, 2011

How Unfortunate........

As many of you know I had the distinction of designing the logo for the CQA mini conference, Quilt Ontario, that was held here at the end of May. That logo appeared on bookmarks, posters, in the CQA newsletter, brochures and even on tote bags, and each time the logo was just as it had been designed. Of course, the conference is over, the paper is probably in the shredder or recycling bin, and the bags will likely end up in a drawer somewhere.
The one thing that will be around for a long time are the pins that were made, attendees purchase these pins, many collect them at conferences year after year.
How unfortunate that someone at the company producing the pins decided to "change" the artwork. Now I am fully aware that when reproducing artwork on a pin that is roughly 3/4" across, it may not have the same level of detail.......BUT.......I certainly did not expect to see this.

Here is the way the artwork has appeared on everything.....except the pin

here is the pin.

an employee at the company decided that the roots and branches should be black...........uh......that is not how it was designed and not how it was supposed to look.

Apparently this employee felt that he(or she) were "improving" the design.
How unfortunate.

Edit: It was and is not my intention to make an issue of this. I just found it curious that the artwork was reproduced unchanged on a great many items..........what circumstances led to the pin being different, I don't know. The company responsible did acknowledge the error and has made an effort to compensate for it. I guess the lesson is that it is always a good idea to be sure you can get approval when having work like this done to avoid surprises.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a bummer that they just couldn't leave the wonderful design as is. I'm sorry this has happened to YOUR design.

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

Unbelievable....and someone had to APPROVE that change~~at least the companies I have dealt with require a staffer from the event to approve a change in design....
So sorry; your art is beautiful.

XXOO~~
Anne

Unknown said...

Oh I agree that this isn't anywhere near as good as your original design - who gave authorisation for the changes I wonder (or was it done on a whim) - a big mistake

Debbie said...

Super big mistake....your design had impact the redo is so devoid of character. So sorry they did this to your design.

Vicki W said...

I agree that the design is not "better" but I'd guess that it wasn't a design decision as much as a technical decision. In your design everything is outlined in black. If you start with that asn the raised areas and then fill with color, you get the pin. It's just that their outline lines are bigger and I doubt that there's any way to get around that.

Kim said...

Ouch

Lizards arent cuddly said...

It is understandable that the design was difficult to reproduce in a pin form. This should have been communicated before production. I would be sad too :(

Bunny said...

How sad that your artwork was changed. Hope whoever it was has learned a lesson. You do such amazing work.

moollin said...

I cannot believe that somebody would even think of changing an artists work...... It's just not done!!
I'm so sorry.

Mishka said...

Unfortunate is right. Sorry to see they did this to your design.

Gwyneth Depport said...

your design is wonderful, shame about the ill considered change by whichever numpty took the decision to do so...I feel your pain

Diane J. Evans said...

This is SO not fair!!! I will never understand what goes on in the minds of people with the power to make these decisions. While I commend you for not wanting to make too much of an issue of it, I don't blame you one bit for being disappointed. Let's hope they learned a lesson from this unfortunate move.

By the way, do you think those tote bags are still for sale????

Diane

Sherri said...

How SILLY!!! (them, not you) I don't know what else to say...it is just...not right!

Maggie R said...

Nevermind Jill,
It is still a wonderful design
xoxo
((((hugs))))
Maggie
PS I belong to Friendship Guild

Copyright Jill Buckley