Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Toothpicks are NOT created Equal.

Toothpicks? seriously? Yes that is what today's post is about. You see, when I work on my applique projects I have always used a particular type of toothpick, one with this interesting end on it.
Well I ran out of them and can NOT find more anywhere. Regular toothpicks just don't have the same sturdy pointed end on them, they simply do not get the job done.
So I went in search of an alternative and decided that perhaps these wooden Barbeque skewers might be the answer. They were easily cut to a more manageable length and with a quick pass across an emery board, any cut, rough edges were sanded smooth. The tip is PERFECT and the skewer is not only performing as required but is also holding up extremely well. I will get lots and lots of use out of each and every one of them. I don't like to waste anything so the ends that I cut off (the "waste"is about 8" long) will be just right for mixing paints and inks. I got about 100 skewers for a buck......can't beat that.
with all these circles ready to go I will be putting my newest applique tools to good use.Even though we had a very, VERY mild winter in my area this year, I am thrilled to see the end of it and to celebrate the official arrival of Spring, I inked this Robin.....yes, I can hear you asking......where is the red breast?.......sorry, you will just have to use your imagination.

7 comments:

Terri Stegmiller said...

Great robin! I started noticing the return of the robins to my region about two or three weeks ago...much earlier than most years. I'm glad you were able to find a solution to your toothpick dilemma.

Dolores said...

Good luck with the circles. I don't use anything other than the end of my needle.

Diane J. Evans said...

I DO see the red breast -- doesn't everybody??? All robins bring spring, regardless of their color. So glad you're doodling again -- your results always make me smile and spur me to action. Time to Zentangle!

Diane

Edna said...

This is probably not much help since I believe you live in Canada, but they sell the toothpicks at Cracker Barrel

Patricia said...

Those toothpicks you used can be found in a Japanese market (grocery store) or maybe even an Asian store.

Joan said...

I must admit that photo really intrigued me. Another great idea from you and I can easily use my imagination for the red breast on the Robin. Its 'Fall' here as you would say, and the leaves on the trees are starting to change. and its actually lovely and cool. I use wooden manicure sticks for my applique.... but I just may give your idea a go,

Jaye said...

Love the robin! What do you use the skewers/toothpicks for?

Copyright Jill Buckley