Friday, May 4, 2012

More Fabric Painting

I promised I would show you more of the fabric painting project that I have been working on. But I was scheduled to do a presentation at the Oxford Quilters Guild this week (well 2 actually, since they have an evening and morning program) and wanted to give them first peak at this work. I am not accustomed to public speaking and making presentations, but all of the guild members were so receptive, they welcomed me with great energy and made me feel at ease, it was a fabulous experience.
I mentioned that even though I have played with paint for a while now, I thought it was time to take a class. I signed up for an online class through Craftsy, for one called Painting Pictorial Quilts with Annette Kennedy.

This is one of the class projects. Here you see the beginning stage, the bloom is one piece of fabric, as is the leaf and then the stems are another. They are simply cut and fused to the background fabric. looking pretty plain.


then you see the drama unfold as depth and shadow is added, simply with paint. in this photo just the leaf and stem have had paint applied


here is the finished painted Calla Lily  (the background colour is more true in all of the other photos, not sure why this looks quite so purple)

 A very small amount of stitching is added

 and here is it bordered, quilted and bound.



This class was great fun, well laid out, and best of all you can pause, back-up and re-watch segments as many times as you need. I followed the instructions and did it all her way, for my first attempt, I am really quite pleased with the result, my plan is to now take what I have learned and apply this using my own photos. I can hardly wait to get started

18 comments:

Denise :) said...

Oh my gosh, it amazes me how a little stitching can transform a pretty piece into spectacular art! Way to go! :)

Caryl @ cinnamon holiday workshop said...

This is fantastic...awesome!!! And I love it....so beautiful!

Margaret said...

I signed up for that class but haven't watched it yet. After seeing what you have done I can wait.
Thanks for sharing
M

Jackie said...

you are just so stinkin' talented!

Rachel said...

Wow!! That is stunning! I would take the class if I thought I had even half as much talent as you. :)

Cheers!
Rachel
Scrapendipity Designs

Karen S said...

I love this -- It's amazing to see the flower and leaf emerge from the plain fabric. Thank you for sharing.

Terri Stegmiller said...

Beautiful results!

Quilter Kathy said...

That is so cool! Amazing the difference in the before and after photos! So great that you are doing more trunk shows...when can you come to Guelph?!?!

Anonymous said...

Seriously?! You know what I'm thinking and will say...ARTIST.

landscapelady said...

Kismet or Karma I don't know what but I had never heard of annette kennedy until yesterday when someone on pinterest pinned one of her pieces and I went to her website and fell in love with her work - beautiful and the class piece you did was just a amazing. I have wondered about taking online classes and have seen quilt university but havent taken them. I hope she has this class again because it looks right up my alley - thank you for sharing it

landscapelady said...

Kismet or Karma I don't know what but I had never heard of annette kennedy until yesterday when someone on pinterest pinned one of her pieces and I went to her website and fell in love with her work - beautiful and the class piece you did was just a amazing. I have wondered about taking online classes and have seen quilt university but havent taken them. I hope she has this class again because it looks right up my alley - thank you for sharing it

Lynn said...

That is really beautiful. You did a great job.

Createology said...

Oh My Gosh! This is absolutely beautiful. The depth of the flower and leaf is exquisite. Your choice of background fabric and coloring is perfect. You are amazing!

Maggie R said...

Hi Jill this piece is fabulous, you are so inspirational...Hope I see "IT" at guild this week??
I am sorry I missed OQG this month. I knew you were speaking but I was so tired after two days in Ailsa Craig at workshops and the lond drive x2..
The Ailsa Craig show was fab... did you go?
Next year...Israel... Should be great
See you Thursday
xoxo
Maggie

Diane J. Evans said...

I'm running out of superlatives -- your work is breathtaking.

Diane

imquilternity said...

It's truly gorgeous! I hope you'll share which online class you took so we can all join up! :)

Clare Wassermann said...

Wow. And which kind of fabric paints????? are you allowed to say?

Ariane said...

Wow!! Your quilt is just stunning!!! You do amazing work!!!

Copyright Jill Buckley