Tuesday, August 28, 2012


That's right, I can add "centerfold" to my list of accomplishments.......no need to cover your eyes, its not me, just my design  :-)

The Autumn issue of the Canadian Quilter is out, and for this one, I submitted a design/pattern for those who would like to try a bit of thread painting. My design allows the maker to really take full advantage of beautiful print fabrics and then, to simply enhance them with thread.

Marsha, the Editor, has once again, done an outstanding job! Don't forget, there is also a spot on the CQA web site (members only section) where members can access the PDF version of the pattern to send straight to their printers as well as an area to upload photos of their finished projects. In addition, there is now a CQA blog...even more ways for Canadian quilters to connect

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Lesson Learned

Last week I decided to try something I had read in the June/July issue of Quilting Arts magazine. It was an article on dyeing fabrics using ice cubes. Even though I do not have "Procion" dyes, I thought I'd give it a whirl with the dyes I did have, and see what I might end up with.
I soaked the fabric as instructed, layered fabric, ice cubes and dye powder (as instructed)

The article tells you to place this container inside another in case of overflow as the cubes melt....hmmmm, it is a "volume" thing, I was certain it wasn't going to overflow, but did as instructed and I am quite happy that I did because very soon after I placed my jar of fabric/cubes and dye into the second container I heard a loud CRACK!  that did not sound good at all but I did leave the whole works for 24 hours (as instructed)

well it did not overflow, but it did LEAK!.......This could have been an awful mess

here is the hole in bottom of the jar.......was it the warm fabric-ice cubes-glass combo?
Even though the dye ran out the bottom of the jar I still got some interesting pieces, I especially like the way the middle one turned out
Top layer
Middle layer
Bottom layer

 so.....lesson learned?  Sometimes it is good to follow the instructions   :-)

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Sun Printing....the Basics

I have had a few questions about the sun printing process, so I thought I would give you a quick tutorial. You don't need a great deal of supplies for this. The correct paints, fabric that has been thoroughly washed to remove any chemicals, water and SUN. so here is all you need to know

These are the paints. They are Setacolor transparent paints made by Pebeo. This process does not work with other types of fabric paints.  OOOPS!!! apparently I am in error. I am told that other paints will in fact work for this process, Thanks Terry,  looks like I will be doing a little experimenting .....so, let me just say that in this case, Setacolor paints were used.
you will mix your paint with water...that's it....too easy.
Generally the ratio you want is 2 parts water to 1 part paint or for even more effect 1-1 (the more diluted the paint the less intense the print will be)
I always begin with my piece of fabric dampened to allow the paint mixture to flow easily across the surface. It also helps the colours mix and blend. I place my fabric down on a board or some Styrofoam that has been covered with plastic, keep in mind that any lines or scrunching of the plastic will transfer to your final image (sometimes you can get some really cool texture this way)
Now with a paint brush or foam brush, start spreading your colour across the damp fabric. I often use several colours and allow them to mix in some of the areas. Don't be shy, get it good and wet with the paint mixture. Place the items you are wanting to get an image of directly onto the wet paint. If they are very light weight, find a way to hold them down . Items that do not sit flat against the fabric will not produce a sharp clear image.
now take the whole works outside and place it in an area where the sun can do it's magic and leave it to dry
Drying time will vary depending on how wet you got your fabric and how strong the sun is. I always leave it as long as I can just to be certain it is very dry and to get the most dramatic effect. (note the difference between how the colours blend from the wet piece to the dried one below, as well as the texture created by the plastic underneath. I am never certain if heat setting is really necessary at this point (think the sun already did that for me) but I do it anyway.

the fun of the reveal

good colour blend, interesting texture, great images......and now...nicely painted feathers......more inspiration!

Monday, August 6, 2012

Sun-Printed project continued

I found the center of that Dogwood blossom to be very interesting, it is a fabulously textured sphere
So, I wanted to create something interesting at the center of my sun-printed blossoms, "flat" was simply not going to do! I began with a small bead which was placed  in a circle of wool that I gathered up tightly around it to form a sphere I could stitch on, then, one by one stitched small beads to the wool.

actual Dogwood center (far left) bead and wool (center)  finished beaded center (right)

I made a few different sizes to co-ordinate with the various sizes of blossoms, for the smallest ones I just stitched small, layered, clusters of beads
Copyright Jill Buckley