Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Small Whole Cloth underway

I have decided to play with the design I recently re-vamped, the plan is to use it in a simple "white on white" wholecloth piece.
This will also give me an excuse to re-visit the use of those FriXion pens. I do like the way they glide so easily across the fabric and the fine lines they make, I worry about the lines reappearing at a later time. BUT, since this is not going to be a competition piece or a gift, it is an opportunity to "test" this out again.
I enlarged my design and have begun the process of tracing it onto white cotton.


Did you know that when you are tracing, you will find it MUCH easier and accurate if you use a broken, dotted or dashed line?




7 comments:

Monica said...

I can't wait to see it! As far as the pen goes, it is my understanding that you need to use steam when you iron the marks away to remove them permanently so they do not reappear. I hope you try it out and let us all know if that's true or not.

Brenda said...

looks great. I hesitate using those pens because sometimes my quilts stay in a cold car, and I've heard the lines can reappear. How will you get rid of the lines without melting your batting?

Diane J. Evans said...

I'm telling you -- we must have been sisters in another life. I DID discover that using dotted lines makes my tracing much more accurate -- who knew?!

I also use steam to remove my Frixion marks -- I've never tested their return by chilling the quilt, which I probably should do one of these days. I love the pens as well -- they're the answer to all my marking problems.

This quilt looks BEAUTIFUL.

Diane

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

What a wonderful design!

Quilt Rat said...

I tested these pens back in 2011, yes, I know that the marks only "appear" to be gone. But I see that a number of award winning quilters trust them, I think the key may be that once the marks are steamed away, the quilt MUST be washed as well. That is what I intend to try with this one....You know I will report on what I find :-)

Robbie said...

WHat a good tip about drawing with broken line!!! Love this design. I did use the Frixion pen on one piece and I can still see the marks..ugh...oh well...

Createology said...

This will be stunning. I have never used a Frixion pen. How very clever of you to use dashed or broken lines while tracing. I can see how it is so much more accurate than trying to "flow" a long line. Creative Tracing Bliss Dear...

Copyright Jill Buckley