Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Inspired to Doodle....in 3D

This past weekend, I caught a whimsical, Robot themed art exhibit that inspired me to try something a little different.
This local Artist, Eric Cator, had some fabulous pieces on display, but what most caught my eye, were his layered pen & ink drawings.  (links to just a few of his fantastic black and white "Robot" drawings here and here and here)

I decided to see if I could achieve that layered technique using my own drawing. Below, is my finished "test" piece, I learned a LOT by doing this....and what I learned..... was mostly what not to do   :-)


I drew various parts of  the scene on 4 different pieces of plain white 8.5" x 11" card-stock and carefully cut away backgrounds  (I laid them on black paper just so these would "show" up in the photos)



using strips of foam core, and double sided tape, I began "stacking" the layers


 
It was kinda tough to get a photograph that really shows the depth


now, I need to go purchase a shadowbox frame so I can try it again and make a proper one.


9 comments:

Margaret said...

beautiful

Debbie said...

His work is amazing. I love what you created. Who would have thought to go out of box and make those layers???? Just beautiful!

KaHolly said...

Wow!

Judys Lace Creations said...

Oh I love what you are doing with this technique!

Robbie said...

Wow...just wow!!!!

What Comes Next? said...

WOW is right! Beautiful Jill!

Glenda said...

Hey, remember Paper Tole back in the day? People bought stacks of prints and whittled away at them and then stacked them with spacers, I think it was some kind of glue and presto! This is ever so much more intriguing because literally anything is possible. Wonderful Jill!!!!!! Wow, I don't know if I've used that many exclamation marks before.

The Inside Stori said...

I’m blown away!!!!

KevinB said...

Reminds me (albeit no inking) of Hari/Deepti
http://www.blackbookgallery.com/artists/hari-deepti/

Copyright Jill Buckley