Monday, November 14, 2016

Up-cycling a Vintage Suitcase

Found this sturdy little suitcase in need of some work.  The plan is for it to become a sort of "go bag" for supplies. This should be able to accommodate everything I could need when sewing away from home.


It did not start out looking like this. First it really needed a serious cleaning.  The outer shell was covered in these black marks that cleaners would not remove....BUT did you know that hairspray is a secret weapon for these sorts of marks?...it cleaned up great! (as you can see in that first photo)


Next I had to tackle the interior.......it was rough....real rough.


I tore it all out and tossed it away.


now, I needed to rebuild the interior. Wanting create some structure, I used buckram (I had a roll of it left over from my costume building days)


Next, I created  fabric covers for the bits I had fashioned


Covered buckram was also used to create the "hinge"


Wanting to make sure that the top's interior would not pull away, I placed the elastic that runs through that shirred pocket all the way around. I added an extra piece of elastic to help hold things in place and created some loops of sorts that I may want to clip small items to.


This is how the back of this piece looked, wrapped around a piece of foam core and made so that it fits very, very tightly in its spot to help keep it secure


everything was firmly adhered using doubled sided carpet tape.


I am quite pleased with how it turned out.  All that remains to be done is to gather up the variety of supplies I want to live in this case.....ready to go at a moments notice.





8 comments:

KaHolly said...

Oh, wow, did that ever come out nice! Can't wait to see it filled!

Robbie said...

This is SO creative!!! Is there anything you can't do???? You're still my idol!

Calicojoan said...

I have a vintage suitcase I purchased at an antique store a few years back. Almost forgot I had it. Now I'm inspired to re-model mine, thanks to you! ;-)
...now where did I put that thing?????

LuAnn Kessi said...

You totally impressed me with your suitcase overhaul. This is wonderful. Thanks for sharing your techniques.
My Best To You,
LuAnn in Oregon
luannkessi.blogspot.com

Createology said...

Your vintage suitcase is beautiful now that you have given it a makeover. I have an old blue one that hubby keeps trying to throw away. For now it is out of his sight. Thank you very much for sharing your secrets.

Diane J. Evans said...

You continue to amaze, my friend. WHERE do you come up with these fabulous techniques??? I think you have the Mr. Goodwrench gene that my husband was blessed with, and that I, sadly, was not -- you can build and create things with ease. I need to move to Canada and live very close to you -- is the house next door available?

Diane

Royce said...

That's a great idea and love the finished result. I'd never heard of the buckram so I need to look into that.
As always so inspiring.

sewnut said...

it looks great!!

Copyright Jill Buckley