Friday, July 3, 2009

A quilt for my sister



I am in the process of making a very special quilt for my sister. You see, in March of this year, cancer took her husband and best friend. He was a terrific guy, truly one of the "good ones".
A couple of weeks ago I visited her and brought home several of his favourite flannel shirts and some T shirts as well. I thought that I would make a quilt with these for her and perhaps it will provide some comfort as she can wrap herself in it.
I'll just show a little of this quilt's progress so far.

I am using a pattern that I absolutely love and will some day make for myself. It is called "Down the Garden Path" designed by Molly Fryer and in 2005, was published in Quilt Almanac magazine. Of course, this version for my sister is going to deviate somewhat.

To the shirts, I have added a few fabrics that I felt would lend extra "meaning"
For example, my sister's name is Rose so I have used a tone on tone rose print for the applique border.

He loved to spend an afternoon playing pool, so you will see a few pool balls, (cut up my husband's neckties for those.......shhhhhhhh! ) they once owned a sail boat and enjoyed many summers on it, so I used a print with a mariner's compass, he played guitar and enjoyed attending jazz festivals. He loved his home and family, he was especially happy spending hours in his garage woodworking. He crafted wonderful wooden dragonflies for each of us to place in our gardens, and yes there is even a story to go with the pineapple.

Mixing soft flannels, T shirt knits and cotton is a bit challenging but I think it will all work fine together when quilted. Time to get back to the next border.

14 comments:

fancystitching said...

What a wonderful quilt! I know your sister will treasure it, and really enjoy snuggling in his shirts. That is such a gift from the heart.

Kat

Allie said...

What an incredible gift. I love how you've put so much thought and meaning into it. It will warm her, body and soul.

Jocelyn said...

How very special, and what a wonderful gift for your sister. I know she will love to wrap herself up in that quilt.

connie said...

What an wonderful gift for you sister. I am sure she will love all of the wonderful reminders. She is lucky to have a caring sister like you. :-)

Diane J. Evans said...

Bless you, Jill -- your gift will be immensely comforting to your sister. The special touches you're adding to it come straight from the heart -- and there is no greater gift than that.

Diane

Nadine said...

It's a special and very beautiful quilt Jill. I'm sure it will be loved and treasured.

Sharon said...

I know this one will touch her heart. What a wonderful gift to give your sister!

The Cozy Quilter said...

This is a beautiful gift! I hope I get a chance to see it in person before you give it to her.

Debbie said...

This quilt will be a wonderful rememberence of your brother-in-law. It is a symbol of comfort and love.

Stephanie D said...

This is lovely--so different from the usual quilts I've seen made from loved ones' clothing.

Anyone would be comforted to wrap up in that.

Mary-Kay said...

That looks like it's going to be a beautiful quilt. Your sister is going to love it. I can't wait to see the completed quilt.

Quilter Kathy said...

What a great idea! Your post made me feel a little teary thinking of all the thought and love that you are putting into this treasure for your sister. A true gift from the heart. I'm sure it will help immensely in healing her grief.

Molly Mandeville Fryer said...

Well well, Jill--Quilter Kathy just sent me a message telling me that you are making a quilt from my pattern. This is so awesome!! That quilt came out several years ago and I still can't believe it is mine. Thanks for loving it enough to make it and the changes are just fantastic!! I am going to like your post to my blog if it is OK with you. Great job!!!

Pat said...

I read about this on Molly Fryer's blog and had to come see. You are really doing a wonderful job for your sister....and I'm sure this will touch her heart greatly and be a gift she will treasure forever. I will look forward to seeing the completed quilt posted here when you are finished with it.

Copyright Jill Buckley