Saturday, April 25, 2009

Five Little Monkeys



Those of you who visit here regularly may know that I don't do a lot of quilts using patterns designed by others, but occasionally one comes along that is just too irresistible and that was the case last year when I saw the cover Quiltmaker's summer 2008 issue of Quilting & Embroidery.
This quilt would be the perfect gift for my niece who was expecting but since I don't really have the type of embroidery machine necessary to make this quilt I decided to make it using a great monkey print I had. I still followed the pattern but the monkeys were simply cut, fused and satin stitched. To create the lettering I used my computer for the font and size required, reversed it and then did the same thing as with the monkeys. A print fabric with great colour gradation worked wonderfully for those phrases. Now if you remember how the rhyme goes, at the end the monkeys are to be put to bed, so I just had to create a little bed for them. When this quilt was completed I sent a photo to the editor at Quiltmaker magazine to show her my version and to my complete surprise (and excitement) it appears on the "sew to speak" pages of the May/June 2009 issue of Quiltmaker.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG....AMAZING and wonderful!!! You did a fantastic job! I love this little number! Don't know that I could part with it!!

Brenda said...

double congrats: for a lovely quilt and the magazine mention.

fancystitching said...

WONDERFUL quilt! As a retired elementary teacher, this type of kid's quilt always calls my name. And WOO_HOO on the magazine mention!

Kat

Mary-Kay said...

What a great quilt! And such a honour to be in the magazine. Congratualtions.

Diane J. Evans said...

Congratulations! This quilt is adorable -- and it sounds like you put in extra love by the way you created it!

Diane

Helen said...

Wow! Double WOW!!

How fun is your quilt! I'm excited for you with the honor of your quilt being pictured in the magazine. Such fun.

What a lucky child to get this beauty. Your creativity is inspiring.

Hugs

Finishing Lines by K.Sperino said...

GREAT kid's quilt and cool about the magazine feature : )

Micki said...

Congrats on being in the magazine. It is a wonderful quilt!
Micki

Cathi said...

It is fabulous!!! I love it -- particularly the little monkeys' bed!
No wonder the magazine mentioned it -- it is an absolutely awesome version!

L. jane E. said...

Great monkeys! That will be a much loved quilt I'm sure.

Unknown said...

Beautifully done, and now published... congrats!

Quilty Conscience said...

Themonkeys in the bed is the prefect touch, I love it! And what a thrill to get a pciture in the magazine!

Zlaty said...

I love your baby quilt! How cute is that!!!

Very creative!

Happy sewing!

Zlaty :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and how wonderful you did your version! I agree this is one of the most fun quilts ever, I'm making my 2nd one!

Copyright Jill Buckley