Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Selvage House




Over the last little while, I have seen many versions of these little houses made to hold everything from tea to trinkets or maybe even chocolates. I decided that one of these little houses would be perfect for another selvage project. Have you seen all the wonderful things being done with selvages? Spend a little time on Karen Griska's
Selvage Blog where she features works from artists around the globe. Building a house is easier than you think, if you click on the photo of the pattern it will come up much larger so you can see the dimensions written on it.
You can make them any size. This one is just 6 1/2" tall by 3" wide. You may notice that the pattern is one piece, I decided that would cause too much waste so I cut the peaked pieces separately.
Cut the pieces from Timtex and then cover both sides with fabric, add selvages, then machine a zigzag stitch around the outer edges, finish using a whip stitch by hand to hold it all together leaving one roof edge free for the opening, add a closure of your choosing and you are done............... just what does my little house hold? Well my selvages of course!

20 comments:

Brenda said...

cute and useful. but do you really fold your selvages that neatly when the rest of us aren't looking?!?! I have to admit mine are just shoved into a bag.

Candied Fabrics said...

Ooh! So cute!

Finishing Lines by K.Sperino said...

this is really cute.

comicbooklady said...

limI see a workshop in your future! that is so cool!

Jean said...

This is so cute!!!! Your selvages look awfully tidy! Too nice to use!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Too, too cute - I am going to make one of these! Thanks for the great idea AND PATTERN!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

so neat!! I'm going to have to make one.

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

This is the cutuest project I havew seen in a long time!

Christine said...

This is so CUTE! I'm going right to my sewing room after work to make one - the kids can get their own dinner!! Thanks so much for the pattern.

Bluebell said...

Hello this is the first time I have seen your blog and I love all the things about selvedges and I feel really miffed because I have thrown so many away. I will visit you often.
Regards Gill
A Quilter

Bluebell said...

Hello,
I have never seen this selvedge thing but I think it's great I will now save all of mine and have a go at making something. I love your site. I love to quilt so seeing all the quilts and other things is such fun.
Regards Gill

Nancy E said...

That is TOOO adorable!! The ladies at my quilting group at church save all their selvedges for me .... Wait 'til they get a load of this one. I'll have to try it myself.

Marty Mason said...

I printed the pattern. Thanks for sharing...can't wait to make a selvage house. Too adorable! I shall continue to follow to get more great inspiration.

Marit said...

Thank you for sharing your house pattern- its super nice!!!!

Anna said...

Thanks for the inspiration, the house is so cute!
- Anna, sy.lugnagatan.net

Willow Lake Stitches said...

Oh this is so cute ! Thanks so much for posting it. I will have to mark it as a future project !

Man, we just can't throw ANYTHING away anymore !

Beth

Molly Mandeville Fryer said...

This is the cutest little house box!! My brain is going crazy with all the ideas! Why do you save your selvages? For more houses? You smartie!

Bea said...

A very cute idea! Thanks for sharing! ... and thanks for your comment!
Happy quilting
Bea

*karendianne. said...

OMG how cute. Your blog is really unrivalled with al the unique things you have to share. I'm amazed.

Quilter Kathy said...

This is so cool!
And I bet it was fun to make!!

Copyright Jill Buckley