Tuesday, November 25, 2014

New Project

A new project has begun, I won't give a whole lot of info on the "what or why" right now, but will share some of the process as I work through it.
I have a basic idea of where I am headed, but am going to be making it up as I go along.....so I really don't have a complete vision for the finished piece just yet. I like to work this way....no set course....it will evolve, as I work, it will continually point me in the direction it needs to go.

I know this piece requires some specific imagery....and since this one will not be an art piece, it will need to be able to withstand  regular handling and washing.

I hand drew some music notes, a beginning bar of specific music, I wanted to include one of my doodles and a pair of drumsticks....not just any drumstick image...I wanted to use a specific pair of drumsticks....here are the images and how I created them.

I used a technique I have shown prior. Very simple.....it involves drawing my image on freezer paper, pressing the freezer paper to fabric, free motion quilting with an unthreaded needle. 

-


and then applying a product called deColourant.  It is a discharge paste that I liberally brush on, I brush the paste in every direction, making certain it gets pushed into every little hole, I work quickly, then carefully peel the freezer paper away leaving the piece to thoroughly dry. Once dry, it is activated by using a hot iron with lots of steam and then washed.  Below are the resulting images.

I created several sizes of these

this measures about 10" x 3"


As I mentioned I wanted to use a specific pair of Drumsticks, so instead of just drawing a generic pair, I actually traced around the ones I have, so in real life these are the full size 17" drumsticks.




10 comments:

Renate said...

What an ingenious idea! Looking forward to seeing the resulting piece.

The Inside Stori said...

Jill.....what a fabulous technique...tx's for sharing. So funny that you are talking about discharging......I've got a busy 2 weeks ahead of me so I've written and scheduled some of my own blog posts in case I don't have time to do it live next week. YOU are linked to one where I'm talking about decolorant!

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Too funny...I was just thinking today how cool it would be to see a quilt with a song written on it and here you go. Must be your creative vibes hopping into my head. I can't wait to see what you do with this. It's fabulous so far! If you are on FB, you need to friend me and join a group I started called Fellowship of Fibers and Threads. I would love for you to show your awesome work there. Hugs!

Robbie said...

Clever!!! I think you have shown using the declorant before...glad you gave us a reminder again as well as your cool technique!! Happy Thanksgiving!

What Comes Next? said...

what a great idea! and I love how the pieces turned out! I will surely have to give that a try in the new year! Thank you Jill!

marshaleith said...

brilliant

Amy Art Quilter & Fyber Cafe said...

Wow, what fun! I will definitely try this! I've used the decolourant with a quilting stencil with little dashes to make faux Sashiko. But this looks like it's fast and fun and good for kids too.

Createology said...

I am totally smitten with your drawings and resulting fabrics with the decolorant technique. I adore anything with music. How fun to let the project lead you along with what it wants to become. Sharing Joy and Bliss...

Sandi Whitford said...

Amazing technique! I am really interested in what the final product will look like...it looks like fun... I want to know more!

Diane J. Evans said...

Can't WAIT to see this finished, Jill -- you know how much I love anything with musical motifs. This is going to be special, for sure.

Diane

Copyright Jill Buckley