Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Project 2009 part 2

Here is my next addition to my ongoing project for 2009. I hope to have 12 pieces/panels by year's end to put together and then quilt. The idea is to use the same image but created in various sizes with many different techniques. I began with a piece of cotton sheeting that once washed and pressed remained very wrinkled, no amount of steam would remove these wrinkles so I decided to use it to my advantage. I wet the piece and then randomly applied some watered down Setacolour fabric paint, let it run and bleed as it liked. I sprinkled a generous amount of coarse salt to the wet surface
and left it to dry thoroughly. The result is a very nice piece of fabric for my background.

The next step was to lightly draw the outline of the image onto the fabric as a placement guide, I cut the shapes in appropriate colours and used just a small bit of fusible web to hold each piece in place. I stabilized the whole thing and did some free motion stitching using those very threads I purchased on the weekend (see my last post). Once this piece is quilted the elements should really pop.


Michelle said...

It's beautiful!

Bethany said...

WOW. Love it. Very beautiful.

Copyright Jill Buckley