Monday, May 25, 2009

Wash Day Blues




This is my second year participating in a block contest at Joseph Schneider Haus. Each year a call goes out for blocks to be submitted. Once received, judges pick their favourite to be part of a quilt that is raffled to raise funds for various projects and charities.
This year's theme was "Wash Day Blues", the 12" block had to include 2 different shades of blue including one blue print that was provided.
My entry, titled "Swirling Down The Drain" used 18 different blues and is a simple top stitched, curve piecing technique.
I was not in attendance when winners were announced this past Saturday so I unfortunately do not have a picture of the entire quilt to share with you but I am happy to say that my block was awarded a third place ribbon.
Left is a copy of my original sketch, as you can see, I had intended to applique little soap bubbles but never did get around to doing that.

And here you see the early stage of the block's progression.
Beginning tomorrow and for the rest of the week there is an abundance of quilt shows and related activities in the Waterloo Region during the Quilt & Fibre Art Festival.

The highlight of the week is the New Hamburg Mennonite Relief Sale

8 comments:

Diane J. Evans said...

Absolutely beautiful, Jill -- the movement you produced with this piece is wonderful!

Diane

Helen said...

Beautiful!

Congratulations on your 3rd place ribbon.

Hugs

Bunny said...

Congrats. The block is so beautiful actually it is amazing.

Allie said...

That is truly gorgeous!!!! WOW!

Bluebell said...

Congratulations on your 3rd place ribbon your block is very beautiful I love the swirling movement and the shades of blue you used.The 1st and 2nd must have been very good to beat yours.

Debbie said...

Great work Jill. You are gifted with a wonderful imagination.

Quilter Kathy said...

Congratulations! It's a cool block and I can't imagine what could be better than yours! It's so perfect for the theme! And it uses the techniques I just learned this week...awesome!

Karen Newman Fridy said...

Great piece! You and I think alike...I have a black and white piece "Spin Cycle" - inspired by a trip to the laundromat to wash a queen size bed quilt in the triple load front-loading machine. Too funny...between your wash cycle and dryer sheets, and my spin cycle, we've got a great collection! :-)

Copyright Jill Buckley