Sunday, May 3, 2009

Trying my hand at Trapunto

I have seen a great many wonderful quilts where trapunto has been used so very effectively. I thought that I'd like to try this technique so I did this little tester piece. I decided that while I was at it, I may as well try to do a colour, or "shadow"trapunto. I began by using coloured felt as my trapunto layer. I stitched the leaf outline using water soluble thread, then carefully cut away the excess felt, batted it up in the usual manner and then just did a simple all over stipple. Gave it a quick soak to remove the washable pen markings (I have never actually used one of these before) and was happy to see that the markings did indeed vanish.

I learned a few things along the way.

In the future, I may want something with just a bit more loft...the felt I used was just some cheap craft felt squares that I had on hand, one of the colours ran. As for the colour? well as you can see it does not really show up too well because the fabric I used for the "quilt top" was a tone on tone which is quite opaque, I really should have chosen a fabric that was a bit more translucent.

I'd definitely like to try this again using an intricate design.

13 comments:

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love the trapunto and I think it is great that you collect toy sewing machines. I had a post a few posts ago about how many machines I have and I included a picture of the three toy machines I have. I really love toy machines.

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

I had a friend who used to do this and she used a layer of organza on top, so that the color showed through but the trapunto and stitching did too.
Great job; my patience is too lacking to do this! But love seeing it!

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

I had to comment again because I checked out your toy machines. That is AMAZING!

West Michigan Quilter said...

Thanks for sharing about your trapunto. I've always wanted to do this but have been afraid. Now that I see how it's done I'm going to try it. You did a great job on your trapunto. Hope mine looks as good.

blushing rose said...

Now I know what trapunto is ... WOW!
TTFN ~ Marydon

Zlaty said...

I think you did great! I want to try trapunto some day too!

Happy Sewing!

Zlaty :)

Micki said...

The trapunto is beautiful! I loved the pic of what you did! Great job!
Micki

Marty Mason said...

You jumped in with both feet, didn't you...Great job. Our local quilt guild just had a demo on trapunto and I love the look. Your leaves may just be the inspiration I need to move forward.

ilovebabyquilts said...

Interesting! I will follow your efforts to perfect this!

*karendianne. said...

Really? You aren't pleased with the delicate coloring? I certainly love that. How fun is this? I'm admiring you for doing this and you've just MADE MY DAY, too. You're my new hero!!!

Diane J. Evans said...

For your first try, this is wonderful!! I can only imagine what your next attempt will look like -- you really captured the essence of trapunto!

Diane

L. jane E. said...

This sounds so interesting, and I love the results. I'll have to give it a go someday.

Fresh Poppy Design said...

LOVE it! That ia amazing. I don't even know how to go there, but glad you did! Beautiful~!

Copyright Jill Buckley