Thursday, December 24, 2009
My First Row Robin
I recently signed up to participate in "Row Robin" with other guild members. I have not done my row yet but I did have a team member's row to add to, so I stared there.
I have never done one of these before but I saw it as a great way to challenge myself and try some new techniques, not to mention reducing my ever growing pile of scraps. I am fairly sure that the owner of this row does not check my blog so she won't get a sneak peak. I knew right off that I would have to get creative cause her row measures 37 3/4" meaning that standard block sizes were just not going to work
She provided me with the applique Pumpkin/sunflower row and I have added the bees.
I adapted the bees from a Fon's and Porter's pattern called Bee Bop. I started out doing raw edge applique but part way through I thought it would be neat if the bee was a little more "plump" so I made one of them using an applique method that involves some extra batting and a dryer sheet.
I pressed the freezer paper to the right side of my "bee" stripe, laid a dryer sheet over top, and then stitched very close to the freezer paper all around. Next I trimmed the piece, clipping the outer edge and made a slit in the center of the dryer sheet. Turned it right side out and to get the bee to really pop, I stuffed it with a layer of polyester batting. Once the blocks were all sewn together I hand appliqued the fluffy bee in place, then added the antennae and stingers with a Micron pen.
I need to have my own row ready to pass on to a team member for the second week in January, so I guess I had better give some thought to what it will look like.