Thursday, February 10, 2011

What can you do with those tiny scraps?

Some time ago, I saw a post on Terri Stegmiller's site, Stegart showing how to do a Mosaic Collage with little bits of fabrics. This is something I filed away, wanting to try.....It is on a long list of things I want to get to.
I decided to give it a whirl on a very small scale. I chopped up some bits of fabric (these measure about 3/4" square), the hearts are a simple rubber stamp design on fabric, then coloured with inks, cut out with fusible on the back.
On top of a piece of Timtex, I added a layer of fusible web, on top of that, I laid out those bits of fabric. Using a dry iron and parchment paper to protect it, I fused everything in place.
When it came to the quilting, I found this foot that I purchased for my Janome 6600P very useful. It is easy to see through and allows you to free motion over those raw edges super easily.

I fused the hearts in place, trimmed it up and now I have a postcard ready for my guild's postcard exchange.
For some incredible inspiration and great ideas, be sure to check out 3 Creative Studios Look at the list of Free Projects to find Terri's Mosaic Collage Art Quilting Technique. She shows you step by step, how to do a whole art quilt with this technique (not just a background)

Aren't you just amazed by what other quilters share with us everyday? FANTASTIC!!!!

18 comments:

Sherry said...

What a great idea you have here. Worth keeping all your scraps.

Anonymous said...

You ALWAYS, ALWAYS make the prettiest post cards!!! I'd have a wall full of framed ones for sure if I had this kind of talent!

Terri Stegmiller said...

I just LOVE your results.

Clare Wassermann said...

I love this idea - one to give a whirl for definite - I SHOULD HAVE SAID MY "CARD" IS ACTUALLY 15" SQUARE!!!!

Karen S said...

I love this idea -- I did it with painted scraps of dryer sheets. Yours turned out really well -- I just HATE throwing away scraps.

Marianne said...

Please let me know when the house next door to you goes on the market. I would love to be your neighbor....oh the fun we would have !

Rian said...

Now THAT is clever! And cute!!

Dolores said...

This is wonderful. A new technique learned. Lucky recipient.

Robbie said...

Very nice! Love the color combo too!!

Gina said...

What a great postcard!

VVS Art Quilts said...

What a coincidence! I saw this technique recently and decided to try it tonight while waiting for paint to dry on another project. I used a lighter weight sew-in interfacing instead of a heavy one, and haven't gotten to the quilting yet. Haven't decided how I will use it yet. Love the way yours came out.

Impera Magna said...

What a FANTASTIC postcard... wow! I love it...

Caryl @ cinnamon holiday workshop said...

Yes...it is amazing all the sharing in blogland!!! AND Jill I love what YOU are sharing. I love that heart stamp and want to get it....I love hearts and swirls

Diane J. Evans said...

What's always amazing to me is the wonderful stuff YOU share with all of us -- I love how you take an idea and make it your own. If I could only find a way to crawl inside your mind for a while . . .

Diane

Joan said...

Lovely Jill - you are so creaqtive - I love to see what you are up to. On my lap top so this blogging is slow...virus on my other one and I am not sure what to do...so there it sits..

Createology said...

At first I thought 3/4" scraps??? Yikes! Your finished postcard is absolutely stunning. Now I see the total value of using those teeny tiny scraps. Thank you for your inspiration. Happy Hearts to you...

VivJM said...

What a stunning little piece! Thanks for sharing x

Jaye said...

Love those hearts!

Copyright Jill Buckley