Monday, June 20, 2011

Following a lesson plan

A little while back The Quilt Show had several video lessons by Nancy Prince on thread painting. The first project was called Solitary Tree and I decided to follow along. There was a downloadable file of a tree that could be printed, but I wanted to use my own drawing for this.
I started with a very cool piece of fabric for the background and hand appliqued this circle to represent the moon.Next, the tree was drawn using a Sharpie marker onto some water soluble film
It was backed with stabilizer, then put into a hoop
and following the directions.........the free motion stitching has begun.

More to come

11 comments:

Sherri said...

Do you drop your feed dogs or do you have one of those machines that has a piece you put over them so they don't grip? Just curious.

Unknown said...

Oh very interesting - I'll be watching for the follow up

Createology said...

Your tree will be gorgeous. Wonderful week to you...

Clare Wassermann said...

Exciting - I'm looking forward to seeing how you are filling in the colour!

Robbie said...

What a tease! I was excited looking at the different stages! Can't wait to see and I'm guessing it's going to be WONDERFUL!!

Royce said...

once again you have got my mind running - I'd never thought to do the drawing on water soluble film. Genius! This will open all kinds of doors.

Leslie said...

looks beautiful...

Frances said...

Where can I get these instructions??
F.Higgins

Mary Couch said...

Just discovered your blog! You are just about the most talented art quilter I have visited who also has the ability to be a very good instructor. I just went through your Picasa photos and was in awe with your work. I'm going to dig through all your old blogs and get myself up to speed on learning and following.
Thank you for taking the time to do this.
Hugs from Mary

Katie said...

This turned out sooo cool and I really love when people share the process. (add thread painting to list of things to try!)

Karin said...

amazing magic stunning beautful

Copyright Jill Buckley