Thursday, March 8, 2012

QR code

A few posts back, I mentioned that I have a new tablet. This technology is completely new to me as I never did get on board with a cell phone that could do anything more than make and receive calls. So each day I try to learn something new and it is endlessly fascinating.
Have you seen these around?They are popping up everywhere and are codes known as Quick Reference (gee, and I thought the QR stood for Quilt Rat)
anyway I decided to figure this stuff out yesterday....created my own code for my site (the one shown here), and then took it a bit further.
Since the idea is that, using an app that allows you to "grab" a code, one can scan it with their device and be directed immediately to the web site it is attached to, I thought it might be cool to attach these to my quilts. Then when someone wanted to access more of my work, they scan the code and voila! they land right here..............ah BUT would it work?

I, of course, HAD to give it a try. I took my code and using photo editing software, I created a page full, I flipped the page so that I could print it out on to transfer paper.
Cut them apart, and ironed them onto fabric bits. Now I have a whole bunch of little labels I can add to my finished quilts. In the future I can just simply add the code, along with other information as I create my labels.
I was afraid that all that re-sizing, manipulating, flipping, and ironing might distort the code and render it useless....BUT it WORKED!!!! Now come on....who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

17 comments:

Leah said...

Very cool!

helen-mary said...

Well, I am TOTALLY impressed!!!

Cheryl M. said...

great idea*****

Anonymous said...

Very impressed!

Denise :) said...

Fun! I scanned your first code and picked your right up! I tried to scan your fabric-printed codes, but the scanner wouldn't read them. Boo!! But I think it was because of the slant. Can your reader scan them in person? How fun to be all wrapped up in ... you! LOL! :)

Terri Stegmiller said...

What a great idea! I've seen these around but since I don't have a phone that can scan them I really don't pay much attention to them. You know more than me at this point!!!

Kim said...

What a totally great idea.......
of course you are way over my head I still think phones have a little rotary dial on top :0), and QR does mean Quilt Rat.

Happy Sewing

Robbie said...

Well...you have impressed me once again!!! And with technology instead of your art work!! Although, you did combine both didn't you! Very cool idea...someone will copy this and a whole new world will open up!!

Joanne said...

Fabulous idea!!

Clare Wassermann said...

Brilliant...and would they make a good nine patch?

Teresa in Music City said...

Oh my goodness! Technology today just keeps me reeling! Very creative of you to figure a way to put that on your quilts!

Nancy said...

I'm so impressed! Clever you. It worked.

Chris said...

Fantastic idea!

Diane J. Evans said...

Brilliant! What a terrific marketing tool (they should ask you to be a guest lecturer at business schools -- you could teach them a thing or two . . .).

Diane

Createology said...

This is amazing and I am very impressed. I have never known what these really did since I am not technically advanced. You are one very clever and smart Quilt Rat!

Monika said...

Very cool - and I for one have only labeled one quilt ever! Great for getting your site out there, and especially young people are into QR so your fame will spread quickly esp. amongst the young!

Kats Studio said...

You are well ahead of me with that one. Great idea.

Copyright Jill Buckley