Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Doodles

A little while ago, a fellow blogger brought to my attention, The Creative Prompt Project, which you can read about here. Each week a new word or "prompt" is given that participants are encouraged to interpret in some manner. I decided to join the doodling crowd. I am a bit late getting started I am afraid, so I have just done the last 2 and hope to add a few more from previous weeks. Okay, well maybe at least keep current.

Prompt # 17 was Here to There, my interpretation is an arrow with the word here on the left and ending with the word there on the right

Prompt # 18 is Moon, in this one can you see the word moon? Do you also see all the M's O's & N's ?

Of course I could not just stop with a doodle now could I? Nope, I just had to take it a step further.
I thought that these doodles would be a great way to practice my free motion stitching, so after I doodled, I traced the doodle on fabric and stitched.
The arrow was stitched on muslin over a layer of Timtex and although I get great control this way, not to mention freedom of movement, it really is not ideal for large projects so I decided it was time to learn to use a hoop.
The moon was stitched on a layer of hooped muslin and medium weight stabilizer......I have never used a hoop before and this will take some getting used to for sure.


8 comments:

Diane J. Evans said...

What a fascinating and stimulating exercise for the mind! So many techniques involved here, especially the fact that both parts of the brain are being used. I can't wait to try myself!

Diane

Bluebell said...

What a great idea, I am not sure I have th imagination that a lot of you have to do this but I love the idea.

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

The minute I saw the doodle I thought"free motion pattern"!!!! And I actually got myself behind the sewing machine yesterday and will be interested to see how my fabric doodle turns out.
I'll have to check the site you have a link to; sounds interesting!!!

ooglebloops said...

These are great Zentangle doodles!!!
I love doing these!!

Nadine said...

LOVE the doodles, and I'll bet they were fun to quilt, too!

Jaye said...

You have done a fantastic job responding to the creative prompt (http://artquiltmaker.com/blog/2009/06/creative-prompt-18-moon/comment-page-1/). I LOVE the way you went from paper to sewing machine. That is the way I intended the project to work.

I love your doodles and please feel free to do as many as you want - the past ones or start now. What ever works for you. I hope more of your readers will join in the fun.

Sherri said...

Hey, so glad you joined in on the fun of the Creative Prompts! I think it is so cool how differently everyone does their prompts. I really enjoyed yours!

Sherri
aka Walker Lady

Unknown said...

Nice doodling and stitching, so many possible ways to use these.

Copyright Jill Buckley