Sunday, February 7, 2010

Preparing for Class

Next Friday I plan to take an applique workshop and want to be properly prepared. I have not taken many classes or workshops so I'm never sure that I have chosen the right supplies to take along, I just know that when I get started I'll wish I had made different choices.

Since I can't bring my entire stash with me, I devised a simple way to "Audition" my fabrics for this class. I went online and snagged a picture of the pattern we will be working on. (note, I am not a bunny and butterfly kinda quilter) but I do want to learn technique. I printed the picture ( about 1/4 of the actual block size) and proceeded to trace the elements onto freezer paper. I cut the flowers, leaves, and bunny from the fabrics I thought might work and placed them onto my background. So here it is in miniature and I think I like my choices. The ladyslipper leaf fabric actually reads a little more green in full size. I will take a few of my second choices along as well in case I want to make any last minute changes. I am thinking that I may enhance some of the colours with a little thread painting once the applique is done.

You will notice that I have chosen to use a light background, this is partly because I don't care for the dark background and because I have very few light fabrics in my stash that would work. You may also notice that there is no butterfly in my mock up........I gotta draw the line somewhere, the butterfly is not happening, not real sure that toad will be staying either.
I stitched my mock block onto a piece of stabilizer that could be slipped into a clear binder sheet for easy reference. Now everything is neat, organized & ready to go.

12 comments:

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

I very much like the fabrics; I think you'll be happy with the results.
From a chick who did waaaaaaay too much applique and the hands no longer work....sigh.

XXOO!!
Anne

comicbooklady said...

you could always change your bunny to a rat! LOL!

Yuki said...

Wow, what a great way to audition fabrics. I never would have thought of that!

ttfn :) Yuki in Snow_mageddon, Maryland

Finishing Lines by K.Sperino said...

Ahh... I was thinking the same, why a bunny and not a little rat? Anyway- I'll enjoy watching your progress.

Diane J. Evans said...

You are so smart! (But then I've told you that many times: I love the way your mind works . . .). I think I like your color choices even better than the example. And I'm right there with you when it comes to the toad . . .

Have fun!

Diane

Debra Dixon said...

This takes clever to a new high-technology is a great invention!

Rian said...

Have fun learning applique. Please report back. I avoided the "A-word" for years but once I learned how, my quilting was changed forever.

Anonymous said...

I'll be watching. :0)

Zlaty said...

Wow you are so organized! That was great idea for the class! What technique you will be learning?

Have fun at your class!

Kim said...

wow are you organized or what!

Applique is just so much fun.....I hope you love it!
Batiks ...yummy.
I look forward to seeing your creation.

Happy sewing

Jaye said...

I am so impressed with your preparation! You can always find me flinging things from the supply list into a bag right before I have to leave for class. It seems to work for me! LOL!!

Sherri said...

Inspiring! I need to get back to my applique' project too! Love your color choices and can't wait to see it with the threadwork added!

Copyright Jill Buckley