Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Told ya, I don't like to waste a thing!

I have an old June Tailor board, it is a cutting board on one side with a pressing mat on the other, but as you can see it is now in pretty rough shape. It is scorched, there is fusible stuck on the pressing surface, then the glue is all dried out and the whole thing has begun to separate.

Do I need a new one? no, not really. I just created a bag/pillowcase sort of thing with handles that I can slip the board into. Now it is still usable, I can press on the new, clean fabric and simply slide the board out for cutting, as an added bonus, when taking it to workshops I can slide my long rulers inside to easily take them along.
I decided to create something similar to make it easier to move about with applique projects. This time I used a piece of leftover sheet (most of the sheet was used as backing for this Row Robin project) The top part of the sheet still had that nice edging, I again, made a bag/pillowcase sort of thing with handles but this time I slipped a piece of Styro-Foam inside.

It is super lightweight, portable, and I can pin into it. This will easily accommodate an 18"block

9 comments:

fabriquefantastique said...

I can see you are mighty pleased with yourself....well done.

Sarah said...

Awesome ideas!

West Michigan Quilter said...

Great idea. I don't like to waste anything either and will keep this in mind for my board. Thanks for sharing.

Diane J. Evans said...

You thrifty little gal -- who would have thought to do this??!! Your idea belongs in a book for People Who Can't Bear To Throw Anything Out. I would buy the first copy . . .

Diane

Createology said...

Brilliant my dear and thank you for this inspiration. I have the exact same June Taylor board and it has definitely seen better days...especially since I just ironed some embossed paper and the embossing is now on my board. I thought it was ruined but now I know I can save it with a sleeve/tote cover. Thank you very much.

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

I have two of these I have 'killed'. I now keep them wrapped in linen when I'm using them next to my machine and pin it in place on the far side. I shift the linen round as each area is destroyed...... I might blog about it...

Maggie R said...

Great idea Jill,
Does your brain ever rest??? VBG
xoxo
((((hugs))))
Maggie

Royce said...

Love to see old things getting a new life. Great idea to add the handles. I sew away from home at least once a week and value take-a-longs. Great job!

Andi Porrazzo said...

This is my first visit to this site and I must say that you rock. I don't like to waste either and I also have a June Taylor cutting /ironing pad that I can use again.

Copyright Jill Buckley