Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Marking circle placement

I am still working away on my applique quilt, for the final border, I choose a pieced and applique block. There are lots of them and I wanted to be sure that all of the circles would end up in the exact same spot on each block. Rather than measuring each one, I simply made a quick template out of card stock. I laid it on the fabric, drew the circle placement and now I can be sure they will all be consistent.

appliqued circles

Because I use an applique method that requires the block to be immersed in warm water to remove the freezer paper, I actually made the block a bit larger and cut it to the proper measurements, (just in case that process might cause a bit of distortion) once dry, I trimmed them before moving on to piecing the corners. Used the template again, to be certain the circles remained in the proper position.
paper removed......drying

one of 56

Looks as though Blogger has decided to make some improvements.............liked it better before. oh well, its probably only because I was comfortable with the old way of doing the job  :-)
Just going to half to learn how to deal with these changes.  Hopefully it won't take too long to figure this out.



4 comments:

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

great idea,thanks!

Joanne said...

Great tip for the circle placement. Beautiful colours on the blocks.
It took me a while to get used to the new blogger, but now I love it. Good luck.

Joan said...

Good idea - You are a clever one. Sorry I have missed some of your posts Always interested in what you are up to. I have been a bit busy but hopefully back to 'normal' next week - maybe :)
I dont like the new glogger either!

Diane J. Evans said...

Once again, brilliant idea -- sounds like you channelled your inner math goddess for this one. Each square looks perfect. I'd expect nothing less.

Diane

Copyright Jill Buckley