Thursday, December 24, 2015

Doodled-Painted Hexagons - Tutorial part 2

I tried to cover as much as I could in one post last time....photographically attempting to show you that various steps involved in the process.

Then I thought...gee...could I make a video? I have never tried to make /edit video before but decided to give it a try, so, I am hoping that together with my last post you will know what to do and perhaps be inspired to try it yourself.

This is the Rosette I created from the hexagons I am painting in the video.....and it is this rosette pattern that I am sharing with you. Download, print, and make your very own, I only ask that you link back to me when showing off your creations.  You can get the file here
Note: this rosette and pattern is comprised of 1" Hexagons....print at "actual" size.   If you want to work with a different size you may have to play with printing at the desired percentage


I am not providing instructions for the actual paper piecing part...you can find those all over the Internet as well as some great You Tube videos.  Check out my previous post for part 1 of this tutorial

I did it!...my very first video, my first time trying to upload to YouTube.....fingers crossed that it works!   The video covers the painting process....hope you find it helpful


I plan to try this technique in a variety of mediums......starting with these.....I have had this lovely set of watercolour pencils sitting in a drawer for years.....will they work?....lets find out


I began by testing the permanency of the colour on fabric. I doodled, laid on colour, activated with the Aloe-Vera Gel, let dry, heat set and then submersed it in water. It worked...the colours stayed put and equally as important, the hand of the fabric remained unchanged

In the image below, the hexagon on the left with just pencil applied....on the right the hexagon after the gel was applied


                                                               here they are left to dry


                                                         and this is the finished rosette


The process for this is just a little different than with paint, I will attempt to make another video soon.

Merry Christmas!  Nina Marie is hosting her "Off  the Wall Fridays" so I am linking up there where lots of creative stuff is happening

11 comments:

Robbie said...

You are making me crazy!! I want to try this SO bad...I did run downstairs and put my aloe in my art bag! I forgot when I saw your last post (or first post, HA)....can't wait to try this!!!!! THANKS so much...video was great!!! And I will link back to you for sure when I finish mine! And I will finish one for sure!!!! You are the best!!! Happy Holidays!!! We leave on Sunday for Florida!

Terri Stegmiller said...

Congrats on your first video! I hope we see many more to come. Happy Holidays!

Amy Art Quilter & Fyber Cafe said...

Thank you so much for the pattern, I can't wait to try this. The idea of using the aloe intrigues me. Also I have the watercolor pencils, so I'll try it both ways. Merry Christmas!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Oh, the possibilities! I've been experimenting with inks and aloe vera gel. I haven't tried painting so with such precision. Your pattern has given me the nudge I need to try. Thank you, Jill.

Amy Art Quilter & Fyber Cafe said...

The hexies were my Christmas day project. Copy and paste my blog link http://amysetcetera.blogspot.com/2015/12/zentangle-hexagon-ornament.html to see what I made and my thoughts on the process. I love the results, I colored my hexie a little bit different. Thank you so much, I gave you lots of credit and links to your blog.

quiltedfabricart said...

A picture is worth a thousand words and a video is priceless! Thank you for taking the time to make it. Are those pencils different than the inktense? If so, how do they differ? I love the inktense but sometimes they are to intense for some things. I see you use an ultra fine sharpie but have you found different types of fabrics to bleed less than others when using markers on them? I would assume the tighter the weave the better. Are you a cotton only girl or have you tried different poly blends. What about PDF fabric?

Thank you for your guidance :-)

Turid said...

How cool! I have to study this when I come home.

Suze said...

Jill,
Thanks so much for these posts on the doodled hexagons. I tried it! and I like how it turned out! Check out mine on my blog - caricol.blogspot.com - it's not a detailed as your doodles, but I think mine came out pretty nice for a first try!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to try this! I am curious, I did read all your posts about this and perhaps you explained it - how did you come up with using Aloe Vera gel? I've never heard of it ...

Createology said...

Another stunning design you have created. Love how you experiment with your techniques. Beautiful Hex Flowers!

Royce said...

This is just wonderful - you do so inspire

Copyright Jill Buckley