Well here is what has become of those paper pieced New York Beauties.
I thought they looked like a spiked flower so I turned them into an applique project. I have never really done hand applique and am signing up for a workshop this month but thought I'd try my own version first. As the title of this post suggests, I used dryer sheets to make the whole process quite easy.
First I layered my partial NYB block right side up with a dryer sheet on top.
After stitching around the outer edge, make a slit in the dryer sheet, trim, clip and turn
Then it was onto the tricky stems......well, not so tricky after all. I pressed the freezer paper shape to the right side of my fabric, again layered with a piece of dryer sheet. After stitching and trimming they were a snap to turn because I stitched across the paper at the narrow end and by gently pulling the paper it turned quite easily.
The leaves were done in the same manner as the "flowers" The vine is simply a bias cut strip that has been stitched folded and pressed.
Makes me think SPRING!