Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Prompting Paper Piecing



This week's prompt is a little different, instead of a word, Jaye has asked us to post about something we have seen and been inspired by.
I have been inspired by Kathy of Kathy's Quilts who did a piece called the Internal Sun.
I absolutely love this piece and it has inspired me to try some paper piecing myself.

I decided to work on a New York Beauty block. First, for prompt #50, I did this black and white block instead of my usual doodle.




Tendinitis makes it very difficult for me to remove the paper from the back so I thought I'd see if I could find something to use that did not have to be removed. I used a product called "trace a pattern" that is sold at Fabricland stores. It is inexpensive, easy to see through, is lightweight and soft enough to be left in a quilt.




I cut the point sections out of a paper version so that I could audition the fabrics I thought I would use





You will just have to wait for my next post to see what these are going to become.

8 comments:

Diane J. Evans said...

Okay . . . this is becoming more amazing by the minute. I, too, have cut the shapes out of a paper pattern and laid it over fabric to audition it. We HAVE to be related somehow . . . although you received the creative right brain and I got the compulsive left brain in the deal. Your squares are going to be magnificent -- I just know it!

Diane

Mary-Kay said...

It's looking good. I love the look of a New York beauty. When you remove the paper are you getting it damp first? Sometimes that makes it easier to remove. I usually use tweezers too. I don't know if this helps but it's worth a try.

Kim said...

Warning.....paper piecing may
become addictive!!!!

these are stunning and quite brave for your first paper piecing project!

Happy sewing

Jaye said...

I have never heard of cutting out the points to audition the fabric. I think it is a wonderful idea and so sensible! I wonder why I didn't think of it before. I love the NY Beauty block and can't wait to see what this becomes.

Ednamar said...

Olá,ótima inspiração,ficou lindo...bjs

Daisy said...

Hola!!!
Te ha quedado muy hermoso, felicitaciones.

Quilter Kathy said...

This is sooo exciting! I'm honoured that something I sewed inspired you to try something new. And I LOVE your blocks!

kanishk said...

Your squares are going to be magnificent -- I just know it!

Work from home India

Copyright Jill Buckley