After having my design chosen as the logo to be used for next year's CQA event, I decided to see if I could turn it into a quilt.
On a white tone on tone cotton with a vine and leaf motif, I painted in the colours I wanted.
I probably could have gotten away without piecing the circle, but I did want to be able to tuck the tree roots into the seam.
So the blue was painted, the tree trunk and roots are actually Lutradur cut with a heat tool. I painted the outer circle yellow, being careful to leave the flying geese area blank so it could be treated separately.
I hand lettered the text using a micron pen. I also used the micron pens on plain white cotton to re-create the designs on fabric for the "foliage" on the tree.
I thought I'd apply something a little unexpected to the binding so I began by printing a sheet of text on cotton which was then cut on the bias.
The broken black outline of the circle is hand stitched while the rest is free motion machine quilting.
Here is the finished piece, it is titled "Coming Attraction"