Earlier, I did some dyeing using snow and ice, this time around, I kept the process super simple. Soda ash soaked fabric, scrunched into the bottom of a plastic dish pan was covered with a layer of snow. On top of the snow I sprinkled my dye powder directly from the envelope. Because the powder remains dry and does not react until the snow begins to melt, I kept my mask in place until I could slip the whole works inside a large plastic bag to be certain I would not be breathing in any of those particles. I left it to "batch" for 24 hours. (that is a tough wait)
Here is a look at some of the resulting pieces, the first 2 are my absolute favourite....(they are about a half yard/metre in size.)
along with a collection of others that are roughly the equivalent of a fat quarter in size. You might be able to detect some "extra" patterns happening in a couple of them, more about that in another post.
I also tucked a bit of size 5 cotton threads in with the fabric and got some terrific variegated results.
alright.....so now I have found one good use for that white stuff.