Monday, February 25, 2013

Anyone can Doodle

That is what I set out to prove in my latest article for The Canadian Quilter. The spring edition is out and in this issue, I challenge quilters to explore their creative side in a different way.


I provided a line drawing of what could be the quarter of a fairly simple applique block and quilters are welcome to use it in that manner, but I hope others will try the exercise I lay out on those pages. Many of my quilt designs have come about, not from a set idea, but just putting pen to paper and seeing what happens.


I set out to prove that even if you think you can not draw, you could do this. If you can hold a pen, print the letters of the alphabet, make basic shapes, dots, lines....then you CAN do this.
Take a close look at the example.

Wouldn't this be fun to do with a few quilting friends?  Turn it into a round/row robin of sorts

I doodled a number of these flowers in different ways and laid them out to visualize how a quilt block might look.

Then, using my computer I created this digital quilt.


Okay, so who is going to doodle today?




15 comments:

sbsudbury said...

Can't wait to get home and try this one....writing from sunny Florida to say how much I love this idea....

Royce said...

me, me I'll try this for sure

What Comes Next? said...

okay, now I'm really looking forward to getting my copy - I've never been much of a doodler, but I can see I'm going to have to give this a try!

chris said...

Thank you, thank you, Jill - you have given me something more to try with my doodles!

Robbie said...

So clever of you...making it so easy for everyone! Really nice post.

Anne-Marie B. said...

Wow! Thank you Jill. It looks so simple that I think I am capable of doodling something now!! By the way, I still love my frog doodle!

Diane J. Evans said...

Holy Alphabet, BatGirl -- you always amaze! What a fantastic idea for the Artistically Challenged among us (I'm the founder of that club . . .). This has unlocked a whole new world for me -- really. I think you have spawned an entire new industry -- you should christen these "JillTangles". You should write an entire book. Soon. I would buy it. So would a lot of other people.

Did I mention how amazing you are?

Diane

Sharon said...

I'm gonna have to try this! Thanks for the directions/nudge to do this. You've made it look very do-able.

Calicojoan said...

This is really cool, but I have doodle deficit disorder. I am paralized by doodling. Zen tangles taught me how bad I really am. How to I get past this?
:-)

Mishka said...

Amazing!

Anna said...

Great doodling - I always doodle in committee meetings and sometimes go on to use the doodles in my work. I like the digital quilt.

Createology said...

Jill thank you very much. I never saw "doodling" in this easy approach of using alphabet letters. You are brilliant and your digital quilt is beautiful. Maybe NOW I can doodle... Bless you and your creative heart!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

How beautiful! I have a couple books on Zentangles and love your work1

Karen said...

What a great lesson! Who would of thought the abc's would make such great quilt designs.

Pine Valley Quilts said...

Hi
Great design, I have done a similar design with my quilt My Blue Garden, you may be interested in taking a look.
http://www.pinevalley.co.nz/product/my-blue-garden
Also on this website the quilt birds in a bluebird tree.
Love your blog

Copyright Jill Buckley