My experimenting with reclaimed yarn continues. After deconstructing this lambswool sweater, I found that the yarn was extremely fine.
SO.......I decided to create a drop spindle that would allow me to "ply" the yarns together
A few simple bits from the hardware store came together to form a surprisingly effective spindle.
the yarn plied on the spindle is shown on the left and to the right, is a purchased sock yarn, as you can see they look very close to the same weight. They knit up well together.
below, you can see the single ply as it came off the sweater, along side the yarn that had been plied on the drop spindle in the process of being knit
I also have a some reclaimed silk on the go.....it is being plied and dyed and turning out wonderfully