Monday, April 27, 2015

Stash Busting

I have not really been doing a lot of textile work lately and don't plan to enter any competitions. I decided I need to do a little stash busting, so I have a fun, colourfull bed quilt on the go.


Now, I must tell you I do not have what most quilters call a "stash". I rarely buy yardage, I buy almost exclusively fat quarters...usually just ones I see that I am drawn too. I don't buy with specific projects in mind. So my stash is limited to small amounts of each print/colour.....this is how I store my fabrics....one small dresser...3 drawers.  I am on a mission to use some of these up.


I am working on a modified version of a quilt contained in Kim Schaefer's book Flower Festival. The piece I choose should work extremely well for the sorts of fabrics I have and will definitely eat into those drawers. These blocks are not pieced, they are appliqued which means I will also be putting a dent in my stabilizer, fusible and thread supply.


The one pictured in the book is only a lap size, I wanted something closer to an oversized Queen,
so I scanned the image from the book...printed a couple of them in greyscale...cut those blocks up and made my own arrangement...this just may, will change again before I am done, but it gives me a good sense of where I am headed.


I love these wonky flowers, but they can be fussy to place. Even though they are wonky...I still want them all placed in the same position. So I created a template using clear plastic. I can lay the flower in the correct orientation...place it on the block and by laying the template on top, I can immediately see if it requires adjustment.




Good thing, cause there are lots and lots of them. oh....and since I am machine appliqueing these, I am gonna be a while    :-)


2 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Nice way to use up some of your stash! I love the flowers.

KaHolly said...

I just love it! I made a similar 'center' from some left over batik prints and wish there was enough to do the flowers, too. It would be so pretty! Can't wait to see it finished. Your collectionn of fat quarters is still a stash! It doesn't have to be yardage!

Copyright Jill Buckley